Top Ten Tuesday is a book blog meme hosted by the lovely people at The Broke and the Bookish. This week, it’s asking for the top ten fictional worlds we’d never want to live in, or characters we’d never want to trade places with! Here are mine – I’m going to do five of each! :)
Fictional Worlds I’d Never Want To Live In
1) Panem: I think this one goes without saying. Whilst I might be lucky and be born into the Capitol, more likely than not I would be born in one of the twelve districts and then have to worry about avoiding being picked for the Hunger Games. Because I wouldn’t do well as a tribute, not at all.
2) Westeros: As much as I love A Song of Ice and Fire, Westeros does not seem like a very inviting place to live. War, white walkers, dragons… yeah. I’ll stay happily behind the pages of a book.
3) Camorr: And the surrounding areas. I love the city of Camorr in The Lies of Locke Lamora. It’s incredibly well described and brought to life. But would I ever want to live in a place with jumping sharks, cut-throat thieves, and as much filth and grime as I could shake a stick at? No, thanks.
4) Middle Earth: I would probably be slaughtered by orcs. :( Also, there are giant spiders. Nooooo.
5) The Muggle World: I would love to live in the Wizarding World, but sadly, I’d probably be a muggle. And, knowing my luck, I’d have a magical child, so I would know about the Wizarding World and be forever jealous. :(
Honourable Mention: Gilead (The Handmaid’s Tale)
Characters I’d Never Want To Trade Places With
1) Locke Lamora: The amount of crap this guy goes through on a regular basis? No way. I love him and his brains, but I’d never want his life.
2) Anna (from My Sister’s Keeper): Anna was born specifically to be a bone marrow match for her sister, Kate, who is dying of a rare form of leukemia. Imagine having that hanging over your head.
3) Mo (from Inkheart): I love his power to read things out of stories, but it brings him so much heartache. :(
4) Hazel (from The Fault in Our Stars): *gross sobbing*
5) Sansa Stark: Because. Just read books 1-3 of A Song of Ice and Fire. I’m on book four, so things could get better, but it’s been pretty horrible so far. To be honest, this could have been any number of characters from ASOIAF, but I’m pretty sure I’d be most likely to be in Sansa’s position.
Honourable Mention: Severus Snape (Harry Potter)
So, that’s it. What would you guys choose?